At Khalsa Primary School we value science because it makes an increasingly important contribution to all aspects of life. We ensure that the children take part in regular practical lessons using a variety of resources and develop the understanding of the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
All children will have:
- A wider variety of skills linked to both scientific knowledge and understanding.
- A richer vocabulary which will enable to articulate their understanding of taught concepts.
- High aspirations, which will see them through to further study, work and a successful adult life
Our children say that Science is:
At Khalsa we are working towards accreditation for our Science teaching and learning in the form of a Primary Science Quality Mark (PSQM) award. The award recognises a clear high expectation for effective Science teaching and learning across the school.
We also offer outstanding opportunities for our children to explore scientific concepts outside of classroom.
- Key Stage 1 and 2 Science club offered by Mad science takes place weekly and involves the children taking part in a range of fun, interactive and engaging science experiments to continue the love of science
- Science Committee-each year we recruit a team of children to take on roles which include Science Technicians, Recycling Ambassadors and Energy Wardens. The team help to raise awareness across the school and with the local community.
- At Khalsa we use Empiribox scheme of work. This consists of a kit that contains very exciting experiments for demonstrations and, most importantly, hands on science investigations for the children. It boosts their confidence in science and their love of it as a subject. They are able to think, and question, scientifically.
- Empiribox is not only used for KS2 we also have a kit for KS1. These children are still being introduced to the idea of science and it is important to instil a love of scientific enquiry.
Our Science Ambassadors are: